South Nanaimo is a primarily residential neighborhood (but includes the downtown core) located in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada in the south-eastern part of the city and borders the communities of North Nanaimo, Chase River, and Cedar. South Nanaimo has a variety of housing options, including single family homes, townhomes, duplexes, and apartments. The area is home to a number of parks and green spaces, as well as a variety of businesses, restaurants, and services. South Nanaimo is also close to the University Village Mall and the Southgate Shopping Centre, which features a number of large chain stores and services.
This area is currently undergoing revitalization and the close proximity to the downtown core makes this neighbourhood very attractive as new and older homes are still reasonably priced. There are a number of heritage homes that have been restored and add to the neighbourhood’s unique character. There is also an abundance of new development in the area as well. There are a number of new builds and the area is said to be slated for further new development.
We recommend the following activities and outdoor adventures:
- Visit the Nanaimo Museum - Explore the many fascinating exhibits about Nanaimo’s history and culture.
- Catch a show at the Port Theatre
- Visit the Nanaimo Bastion - Built in 1853, this unique bastion is the oldest building in Nanaimo and offers a great view of the harbor.
- Take a stroll along Nanaimo’s seawall - Enjoy the beautiful views and get some fresh air.
- Take a walk around the Old City Quarter - Get a glimpse of old Nanaimo and learn more about its history.
- Morell Sanctuary
- Visit the Nanaimo Aquatic Centre - Take a dip in the pool or watch a swim meet.
- Spend some time at the Nanaimo Harbour - Stroll along the waterfront and enjoy the view.
- Westwood Lake Park
- Maffeo Sutton Park
- Don’t forget to try out the Nanaimo Bar Trail with many locations in South Nanaimo!
South Nanaimo has a wide array of restaurants and cafes to choose from. Some of the most popular restaurants in the area. Whatever your taste, South Nanaimo has something for everyone.
We recommend the following foodie spot:
- The View Oceanside Grill
- The Vault Café
- Asteras Greek Taverna
- Top Notch Burgers
- Melange Restaurant
- Gabriels Gourmet Café
- Mon Petit Choux
- Dingy Dock Pub and Restaurant