Deep Bay, Bowser, Qualicum Bay, Meadowood, Little Qualicum River Villiage, Dashwood, Horne Lake, Spider Lake, and Qualicum North
Qualicum North is a growing rural community just a few minutes drive north of Qualicum Beach. It extends from the North end starting at Deep Bay & Bowser and extends to the south, just outside the town centre of Qualicum Beach.
Starting on the North end, Deep Bay and Bowser are situated in the area known as Lighthouse Country on the east coast of Central Vancouver Island; so named for the two lighthouses visible along the stretch of coast from Qualicum Bay to Deep Bay: the Chrome Island Lighthouse off the southern tip of Denman Island, and Sisters Lighthouse off the northern tip of Lasqueti Island in the Strait of Georgia.
There are also many scenic trails in the area for hiking or cycling, including the Lighthouse Regional Trail designed to be fully accessible for all. Or spend a peaceful afternoon paddling and exploring the shoreline and the many secluded bays of Spider Lake, Horne Lake, or any of the local beaches.
Horne Lake is also an attraction in the area. The lake offers swimming and boating and is also very well known for its Caves. Horne Lake Caves Provincial Park is the perfect place to discover caving.
It is not uncommon to see Eagles, hawks, heron, seals, and sea lions when exploring Oceanside. However, there are a few places where your chances of viewing them are much better including the regional trails, oceanfront, and hatchery.
The hatchery is a fantastic place to be in the Fall when the salmon are spawning. It is one of the best places to see eagles, heron, and sometimes black bears during the fall.
There are also some cuisine gems in the area featuring fantastic beach views and exquisite eats.
We recommend the following foodie spots:
- Ship & Shore Restaurant for great Fish & Chips and more
- The Cone Zone for Ice cream of course!
- Tidal Taco Shack for Island famous Taco and burritos
We recommend the following activities:
- Lighthouse Trail for a flat, accessable walk through the forest with streams and rest stops
- Qualicum Bay Resort for camping or RVing (with a waterslide!)
- Big Qualicum River Hatchery – 215 Fisheries Rd, Qualicum - for wildlife viewing and educational visits
- Horne Lake Caves for a unique experience (rent the helmets!)
- Deep Bay Marine Field Station - educational and fun with touch tanks for the little (of big) ones
Parksville Qualicum Beach Tourism Recommends these other things to do
Want to move to this fantastic area? We’d love to help!
Post Your Comment: